Follow Mumbling Jack, my new blog

  • Old Tune for the Banjo - Old Tune for the BanjoAfter Chiang K’uei’s “An Ancient Air for the Lute” –1202 C.E. Spring ends as the willows twistin yellow strands that send youwith the...
    11 hours ago

Sunday, October 08, 2006

A Woman and Her Dead Husband (a D. H. Lawrence poem)

A Woman and Her Dead Husband audiofile (4:12).

This poem (text here) was one of Lawrence's contributions to The New Poetry; an Anthology (1917,), edited by Harriet Monroe and Alice Corbin Henderson, which I found in a used bookstore last week. I was damn happy to get my hands on it (my copy is the 1920 edition); The New Poetry was, and is, an important event in English poetry.

1 comment:

John said...

Heh, did I falter a little as I read that stanza? 'Cause it was damn hard to do it with a straight face and utmost conviction.